Over-55 and active

Random musings from a guy who's old enough to know better!

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Brrrr!

Last Tuesday, Cathy had left me a note when she went to work saying that she couldn't get our furnace to start. When I got home from bowling, I checked it and -- sure enough -- I couldn't get it to turn on, either, using the thermostat. I went into the attic to see if there was anything obvious -- emrgency switch turned off, wires disconnected by the guy who installed the new blower motor blower, etc. Nada. The circuit breakers were on.

So I called the recommended outfit and made an appointment for 2-5 Thursday. They never showed. I called and they said that they had me scheduled for the 2nd week in November!! Hah! Well, they are coming out Monday, 2-5.

And on Friday, when I went in to bed, Cathy said, "I think the bed is cold!" Sure enough, the thermostat on the waterbed heater indicated about 6 degrees lower than the set point and did not indicate that the element was heating the water. This has happened before -- I "fix" it by unplugging and replugging the power. And it worked this time, but the bed temperature is not rising very quickly. Cathy wants to think about alternatives to a waterbed. Hmmmm.... In the meantime, it's sweatsuit-and-quilt-for-sleeping time. Actually it reminds me of my childhood. We lived in an apartment where the heat was turned off at around 11PM!! No tenant controls!!! However, a cold waterbed sucks the heat out of you, unlike a cold mattress. I'll pretend that I'm 11 years old and see if that helps.

Steve had a surprise party for Phyllis tonight to celebate 20 years of their relationship. It was at an Italian restaurant in Astoria, Queens, NY. The place was highly recommended but the way they dealt with a party of 20 was to serve platters of stuff rather than let us order. The food was just OK. Drove by Yankee Stadium and realized that I had never seen it before, and marked the moment with a resounding Bronx cheer! In Astoria, we turned onto a street that was right out of the movie "The French Connection", a 1971 movie that featured a great car chase under the El somewhere in NY. I wasn't about to emulate Popeye Doyle so refrained from punching the throttle in the rain and traffic. I think that was a good decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home