Over-55 and active

Random musings from a guy who's old enough to know better!

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Linux again

I've settled on Xubuntu 6.10 after playing with a number of distros.

It recognized my Atheros-based wireless NIC without any fanfare and has been quite well-behaved.

I'd like to make my trackball a little less sensitive and also to find an easy way to change CapsLock to nothing or to anything else. All I've seen required editing a config file!

I have all (almost) of my favorite add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird and am looking forward to using them. I'musing one of them, ScribeFire, to write this.

It's HOT & HUMID here today. Record highs are expected and it;s NOT a dry heat!! :-(


Powered by ScribeFire.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:57 PM , Blogger dbs said...

    Xubuntu 6.1 sounds like it's a rev off. I know the Kubuntu and Ubuntu versions are up to 7.mumble, the 'Feisty Fawn' revs.

    The stability and usefulness of [kx]ubuntu continues to blow me away :)

     
  • At 9:38 PM , Blogger Pete Holsberg said...

    Yes, it is. I had 7.04 in and found I didn't like what it did with my wireless card, and I could not sync my TREO 700p. So I went back to 6.10.

    Guess what? I can't sync my 700p! :-(

     
  • At 1:30 AM , Blogger dbs said...

    Blah! I actually gave up on syncing Palm devices under Linux.

    For calendar stuff, I'm using goosync now (google it :) - and store my calendar up in google calendar. I never actually have to sync it :)

    I have a very long post about Linux and new users all written, I'm proofing and doing final review now. Look for it in the next day or so!

     
  • At 4:08 AM , Blogger Pete Holsberg said...

    You gave up?????

    I had jpilot orking but now it's not. To bad.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home