Over-55 and active

Random musings from a guy who's old enough to know better!

Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Gadgets Have Been Out To Get Me!

I got my first GPS unit, a TomTom ONE 2nd edition, on sale at Amazon, and I've been learning what it can -- and cannot! -- do. Even though it would connect to my Palm TREO 700p via Bluetooth, but I could not get it to use the wireless to get TomTom extra services (like traffic and emergency calls). I did find out that the TREO 700p is not supported, I guess because it does not have GRS/GPRS. It seems to love the GW Bridge -- see my next posting.

Last week, while downloading email from my Verizon account on said TREO, the phone rebooted spontaneously. When i tried to POP more mail, it said "Account disabled". I tried with Thunderbird and Outlook Express on a Windows machine and Tbird on my Ubuntu box. No joy. Trying via their website was no better although the error message was something like "Account in maintenance mode". Of course tier 1 support didn't have a clue ("I don't think we support Thunderbird"!) but focused on the webmail. Said it would be fixed in 24 hours. It wasn't. Last Saturday, I checked and saw a closed trouble ticket!! Digging through some notes, I came across the phone number for tier 3 tech support and called them. She did understand what I wrote above and said she would pass it along to the Operations Group who would fix it in 24-48 hours. By Monday, it hadn't been fixed. I called again and this rep told me that the Op Grp doesn't work weekends! Finally on Wednesday, he called to say that he got an email from the Op Group saying it was fixed. Sure enough -- 3467 messages awaiting to be downloaded. No idea what was wrong or how they fixed it.

And then when I went to hot-sync my TREO, it hung on Memos. I tried a hot sync using j-pilot on the Ubuntu machine and j-p suggested a corrupt file! I spent several hours searching for possible solutions and eventually found one. Change the conduit to not sync Memos (to make sure that Memos was the problem) and then copy the latest desktop Memos file to the TREO. That worked and a few minutes check memos for possible changes got me back to normal.

Last night, while watching "ER", the cable box tried to reboot and then shut itself down. I gave it a few minutes, then tries a cold boot. Same problem. Tried the other TV (in case Comcast was doing something), but it was OK. So I did some emailing. I looked up maybe 20 minutes after the initial reboot and the cable box was showing the time, so I turned it on an d there was "ER" again. Whew!

My electric razor and toothbrush have been OK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home