Over-55 and active

Random musings from a guy who's old enough to know better!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Never Buy A Gateway Computer!! OOPS!!

I bought a Gateway DX42000UB001A from Dealtree.com )a BestBuy company) via eBay at the end of April this year and got it on May 5th.

It began emitting random beeps -- random in frequency of occurrence and random in the number of beeps per occurrence.

After a number of emails and telephone calls to Gateway's Technical support (both levels 1 and 2) for troubleshooting, I was permitted to return the unit to Gateway's Repair Center in Texas (on my dime!) They got it on 6/27 and shipped it back on 6/30. I plugged it in and the beeping problem was still there.

I went through the same process as before and sent it back, this time on Gateway's dime. They got it on 7/11 and shipped it back on 7/15. It still beeps.

I called tech support again and eventually got to a level 2 person who told me that Gateway has a "repair-only" policy and that I could not get a replacement computer!!! So today I'm sending it back again. I guess I will continue to do this until they get tired of me.

Oh, yes. The first time they returned it to me, one of the feet on the bottom of the computer as missing. The level 2 person told me that they do not stock feet and I would have to PURCHASE MY OWN REPLACEMENT!!!

Here is the last suggestion they sent me on June 8:

Please restart your computer and press F8. Advanced Boot option will appear. Please get into safe mode and check out whether the same problem occur. If the problem still persists, lick on Start Menu-->Right click on My computer-->Go to properties-->Select Hardware-->Device Manager-->click on View Menu-->click on Show Hidden devices-->click on Non-plug and play drivers-->right click on Beep-->DISABLE IT. Really!


I checked the warranties for Dell, Micro Express, eMachines, Lenovo, Acer, Sony and Toshiba and they ALL have "repair or replace"!! Polywell does not.

Update: I just checked Gateway's warranty and they DO have "repair or replace"!! That guy LIED to me!!!

I have learned my lesson.

AUGUST 4th UPDATE...

Problem solved!!! During its third visit to Gateway Repair, my computer met a tech who called me and asked if I had had it plugged in to a UPS and when I said "Yes", she asked, "Along with how many other computers?" Gulp!!

I have a 550VA UPS and never thought that a Dell with a 350W PS and a Gateway with a 300W PS could overload it, but when I got the Gateway back today, I connected it to a Kill-A-Watt and then directly to the wall socket. At idle, it drew about 200 VA. When PRIME95 was running, the reading shot up to about 300VA!! And there's no beeping.

So I owe Gateway Repair an apology.

In retrospect, the ironic thing here is that had I disabled the on-board beeper as was suggested in desperation by a level 1 person, I would have realized that the beeps were not coming from the computer!!!

Live and learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home