Over-55 and active

Random musings from a guy who's old enough to know better!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Read this second

This one was posted after the next one and it won't make any sense unless you read ths one first. Or you can try to make sense of it, if you must. :-)

I tried the first of the fixes and it went quite well. Uninstalled the .NET stuff, etc., and installed .NET 2.0. Then I was even able to install Office 2003. But when I tried to run Word or Excel, it was revealed that underneath it all, things were still "off".

Having spent over two hours doing the above, I decided to use the Ghost image that Dell ships and start over. That went well. However, to my surprise, Dell had included a trial version of Office 2003 but it would not accept the key code from a copy the soup kitchen had! So I uninstalled it, Norton Internet Security and AOL, and started to install what needed to be done. First was Office 2003, then Total Commander, Zone Alarm, Free AVG, Win Defender, Windates, and Typeitin.

Three hours later, I was almost finished. :-) I installed the version of Tbird that I had and then upgraded, but found that upgrading created a second profile! So I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest. Of course, the uninstall hung! Jeez! I just deleted the program folder and the profile folder and tried again and that worked.

I then installed Abakt and attempted a restore of her last backup. Never having done an Abakt restore before, I set up C:\abakt_restore and restored there. Then I copied the folders to where they belonged!

Spent a little time trying to get an Abakt backup to run from Windows Scheduler but no matter what I tried, it didn't like the command line parameters.

Installed LogMeIn and Webshots and went home. I'll try to install Ad-Aware and Spybot and OpenOffice from home. Enough for one day!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A HUGE thank you from the owner of the new Dell computer for all the TIME and EFFORT you put into getting my computer up and running!

    CAV

     
  • At 10:59 PM , Blogger Jasra/Lisa said...

    Yay, troubleshooter Dad! :Dq

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home